Tuesday 16 October 2012

Henry Norman Bethune ( Dr Norman Bethune)

He is a hero in china. The famous Canadian surgeon who gives medical services to the people in Canada, helped Spain during the civil war, but mostly china during the war with Japan. Who is he? That's right, he is Henry Norman Bethune. He's not only a doctor, he is also a inventor and a political activist. If I were to spend a day with anyone in history, it would be him.

First, let me introduce him. Henry Norman Bethune was born on March 4 1890 in Gravenhurst, Canada. He and his family were Scottish. He studied in the University of Toronto and became a surgeon. He contributed to thoracic Surgery in the Montreal Hospital. Also, he set up an blood transfusion system during the Spain civil war, which he lead a Canadian medical team to help operate the soldiers. After that, in 1938 he helped china by doing emergency battlefield operations. But he died on November 12th 1939 in Hebei, China because he cut his finger while operating on a soldier and got blood poising. From then on he was the hero of china.

 If I were to go back in time, I'd see him. He'll be like any surgeon that I have seen, but he is actually different from the other surgeon. That's because he's a hero, he risked his life to help the soldiers of China on the battle field.  I would want to spend a day with him. Not only because he is a hero, but also because he is a doctor. Since I want to be a doctor when I grow up. I figured he could be my role model. He decided to help China because he felt that since he is a member of the communists party, and he strongly believes that he will be useful in China. In 1938 , the war between China and Japan began. China did not have very good doctors back then, he offered to help. He put his life on the line, he lead a medical team to operate the soldiers in the front where the worst fight was beginning. The Japanese was defeated. Norman Bethune made a big contribution to china's victory over japan. See how he was not thinking about him self , and thinking of others? And most importantly, he had made history. I mean what would happen if he hadn't helped the Chinese soldiers? Most likely, Japan would take over and most of china's soldiers would die. That's what makes him a hero, and his spirit in the Communists party showed all the people in the Communists party to  be like him. To be a hero.Now here he is,brought back from history and spending time with me.

 On that day,  we would study about medicine and surgery. I want to be a doctor when I grew up, and I would want his help first. I want to know about different types of medicines and what they will be used for. As for surgery, I'll learn how he does the surgery on the soldiers and how he accomplished it. Not only that , I would also listen to him telling me stories of the wars back then and how he managed to operate many soldiers a day. Like how he helped the Spanish during the civil war, what went on during the Chinese war with the Japanese, and how did he help those people etc...... I'm pretty sure after hearing his stories I'll be never bored in history class ever again. Because If we took off the " h" and the " i" in history it would become"story" and his story would probably change history class for me. What an amazing day we'll have.

Henry Norman Bethune, a Canadian hero of China, is known for his amazing doctor skills. Since I came from china this concerns me. I respect him, and his doing. Every time China thinks of Canada they would immediately think of Henry Norman Bethune. Everyone in both China and Canada should acknowledge for what he has accomplished and become.  I hope China and Canada could continue to Cooperate as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment